Thursday, March 28, 2013
6 Training tips for women
The following tips are not set in stone for all women but generally these tips apply to your average female trainee.
1. Reduce your rest periods-Women generally have better endurance than men and therefore do quite well with shorter rest periods.
2. Use high volume work in your program- women tend to get very good results by doing more sets in their routine. Don't be afraid of doing 4,5 or even 6 sets of something.
3. Full body workouts work best- women love to have that full body fatigue feeling more so than men do. Most women have a goal of fat loss and full body workouts work best to get that desired result.
4. Use medium to high rep ranges- Women don't respond best to working near their 1RM so it is best to use between 6-15 reps.
5. Group fitness is not weight training-I have total respect for group fitness but it should not be the heart of a woman's strength training program. When you can only max out with 15lb dumbbells in a class you will never make the progress you need to see the results you want. Enjoy your group fitness class every once in awhile just don't make it a staple.
6. Don't fear 3x a week- I have found that many women get greater results when they go from doing 2 strength training sessions to 3 a week. Try adding that extra day and see what happens for you.