- Try pausing half way up for a 2 second hold and then finishing the movement up and then back down. You can also pause on way down as well.
- Change your grips- do the first set with a very close grip, then put down the bar and widen your grip and do more reps, put down the bar and widen your grip again for your last set.
- Do negatives on the way down with a 6-8 second count.
Wednesday, September 29, 2010
Monday, September 27, 2010
Friday, September 24, 2010
Wednesday, September 22, 2010
Monday, September 20, 2010
Thursday, September 16, 2010
Monday, September 13, 2010
- I don't like breakfast
- I don't have time
**SOLUTION-You are not making a gourmet buffet here, you can spare 2-5 minutes for breakfast some how.....just make it happen!
- Eating in the morning makes me sick
**SOLUTION-This is most likely because you are used to not eating. Take it slow and gradually introduce eating a solid meal to your body.
- I had a cup of coffee and doughnut
** SOLUTION-Don't eat the doughnut! Coffee I will be ok with...just have it with an actual breakfast item.
All of these are just lame excuses! Eat your breakfast.....make it happen!
So why eat breakfast?
For those who want to lose weight- People think by skipping breakfast they will be saving calories but in fact you will just make those up by snacking and eating later in the day. By eating breakfast you jump start your metabolism early on and you will eat fewer calories throughout the rest of day.
For those looking to gain muscle- Breakfast is the first chance to get some calories and lean protein into your system. Skipping breakfast means losing out on muscle building nutrition.
- Eggs and whole wheat toast
- High fiber cereal- 3 to 5 grams of fiber a serving will be just fine
- Peanut butter on a whole grain English muffin
- Smoothies- use fresh fruit, yogurt, skim milk or juice and your favorite protein supplement
- McDonalds Egg McMuffin with canadian bacon- if you must go this route least you will get protein and solid quality bacon. This is one of McDonalds few menu items I would ever recommend.
Remember- If you are going to eat carbs the morning is ideal because you will start off with energy and you will give yourself the whole day to burn it off.
Wednesday, September 8, 2010
Monday, September 6, 2010
Friday, September 3, 2010
Wednesday, September 1, 2010
- Lat pulldown/Row
- Bench press/Fly
- Close grip press/ Dips
2) Negatives- If you like submitting yourself to pain than please try these! Negatives focus on the eccentric phase of the lift which has been shown to cause more damage to the muscle and lead to more growth. This is tough...and is best to do with a partner. You can do negatives two different ways. One way is to have a spotter help you with the weight on the way up and the other way is to lift the weight yourself. I like to do the negative and then have my spotter help lift the weight up. You can use more weight on negatives but just limit the negative to under 10 seconds.....any more you should increase the weight because it is too light.
3) Off set rep scheme- This is a personal favorite that I have come up with and use often myself. First pick two exercises for one muscle group. Then what you will do is do heavier weight on one exericse for low reps and then medium to lighter weight on the other exercise for higher reps. For example:
Standing barbell bicep curls- 6 reps
SUPER SET WITH
Seated dumbbell hammer curls-12 reps