Monday, October 29, 2012
I often get questions sent to me from followers of my blog and thought for today's post I would answer some of them. Maybe some of you have the same questions so check it out.
Q-I want to build my chest but my triceps always seem to get fatigued before my pecs when I lift
A- This does tend to be a problem for many lifters as people can tend to be dominate in their triceps. Below are some things you can do to help this.
#1-Use the 1/2 press technique when benching-This emphasizes the bottom portion of the press which is when the chest does more work compared to the lockout when the triceps get involved more.
#2- Do negatives-By focusing on the eccentric ( lowering ) part of the movement you can help hit the chest with less worry about the triceps. Have someone then either spot you on the concentric ( pressing up ) part of lift or just press part of the way up.
#3- Pre-fatigue the chest- is pre-fatiguing a certain muscle of a body part (e.g., chest, legs, deltoids) using an isolation or "single-joint" exercise first and then finishing with one "multiple-joint" movement. For this situation do a chest fly first followed by a dumbbell chest press. By doing this you will keep your triceps from fatiguing before the chest and forcing you to stop the press.
Q- How can I get lean legs without them looking too muscular?
A- I hear this question a ton from women and you just need to remember the following quick points.
*Weights make you tight and firm, the cardio will keep your legs thin and lean.
*Eat right to stay tight
Q- I just dont have enough time in the day to workout for an hour so how can I get results?
A- First, thing you need to answer is how important is it to you to reach your goals? If the answer very, then you need to make sure you prioritize your life so you do have time. Second, you dont need an hour in the gym to get results. It is not about how much time you spend working out but what you do with the time. Spend less time talking, reading or messing around and more time getting work done! Start doing super-sets and tri-sets and keep moving especially if your goal is fat loss.
Monday, October 22, 2012
I recently started programming this type of formatted workouts for a couple of the girls I train and they instantly fell in love with it. This format calls for a heavier upper body day with a lighter leg focus and then workout 2 is the opposite. I think this is a great format if your goal is overall body composition and you are looking to drop body fat. Try mixing in these type of workouts every now and then.
( legs heavy, upper light )
A1) Glute thrusters w barbell-8 reps ( holding 2 sec at top ) 100lb
A2) Alternating deficit reverse lunge off small step box-8 reps each leg w dumbbells 35lbs each hand
A3) Goblet squat w dumbbell-10 reps ( deep until elbows touch thighs ) 80lbs
*90sec rest. do 4 total rounds
B1) Inverted row with palms up-15 reps
B2) Alternating lateral shoulder raises w dumbbells-15 each B3) Seated row w palms down-15 reps B4)
B3) Seated row w palms down-15 reps
B4) Dips-15 reps
*30sec rest. 4 total rounds
One arm kettlebell walk-go about 20-30yds, drop the kettlebell and do a plank walk with crossing the arms over one another back to where you started, then sprint back and pickup the kettlebell and put it in the other hand and walk back, then do the plank walk back and then sprint. Rest 90sec. do this 3 times
( upper heavy, lower light )
A1) Twist row w dumbbell ( start with palms facing away and then rotate into reg position as you row ) 8 reps each
A2) Standing one arm press-( start palm facing you, finish palm facing away )-8 each
A3) TRX row palms down-8 reps hold each for 2 sec
A4) Tricep overhead extension w rope-8 reps
*90 sec rest. 4 rounds
B1) speed squats-20 reps
B2) Alternating front lunges w arm movement for speed-20 reps each leg
B3) Split squat jumps-10 each ( 20 total )
B4) squat jumps-10
*2min-230min rest. 3 rounds
Pallof press-10 reps each
*no rest. 3 rounds
Wednesday, October 17, 2012
Monday, October 15, 2012
Simple body composition workout to get lean
*4 sets of each
A1) Squat and press with dumbbells-15 reps ( one smooth move and letting the legs drive the arms )
A2) One arm row with dumbbell-12 reps each
**0-60sec rest between sets depending on level
B1) Glute thrusters with barbell-10 reps
B2) Standing row w cable ( get into a light squat and keep your butt back, palms down hold the handles and row) 12 reps
**0-60sec rest depending on level
C1) One arm reverse lunge with kettlebell or dumbbell ( hold kettlebell in left arm and lunge back with the left leg and then switch arms and legs )-10 each
C2) Lateral pushups-( do a rep amount to each side that is difficult for your level )
** 0-60sec rest depending on level
D1) TRX row with palms up-12 reps
D2) Skier jumps with goblet hold using a dumbbell-10 each side
** 0-60sec rest depending on level
Sprint-distance equal to 50 yards ( even if its 25 there and back or however you need to break it up depending on space )
Farmers walks-same distance
Rest 1 min. Repeat for 3 rounds
Thursday, October 11, 2012
1) Mixed grip chin-up
* Perform this by keeping one hand facing away and one hand facing towards you. The arm with the palm facing you will get a little more work and will help you make progress into doing one arm chins. Make sure you do even amount of reps on each arm. Start your weaker arm in the palms facing towards you position.
2) Incline bench pressdowns
* Place an incline bench in front of a cable pulley station so that when you sit you will be facing away from the pulley. Make sure the pulley is at its highest point. Grip a bar and with your arms tight to your sides extend your arms. This is just basically a simple press down done on an incline bench.
3) Overhead figure 8
* Great exercise from Chad Waterbury in which you hold two dumbbells with elbows locked overhead and walk in a figure eight pattern. The distance should be about 5 yards or so. Make sure the arms stay overhead and elbows locked while palms face forward the entire time.Walk for time or for a certain amount of figure eight reps. This is a great way to hit the core and rotator cuff since the figure eight pattern increases the stability of the exercise.
4) Serratus Crunch
Hold a pair of light dumbbells and lie on your back. As you crunch up keep the dumbbells perpendicular to the floor and keep your palms facing one another. Once you get to the crunched position try and reach your arms as high as possible for a couple of seconds. If this is too easy then take your feet off the floor. Working the serratus will help your bench and keep your shoulders healthy.
Monday, October 8, 2012
2) Mix 1-This another favorite of mine in terms of ready to drink shakes. Mix 1 does have more sugar than the above Orgain but it still is made with simple ingredients and tastes great. http://mix1life.com/
3) Hint Water-Sometimes you want something more than water, and that's when Hint hits the spot. I will say that the taste isn't for everyone but I love it. The water is flavored with naturally and is not sweetened.
4) Nebraska Bison- Jerky makes a great high protein snack and bison is one of the best meats to eat since its low in fat, high in protein and high in Omega3s. Nebraska Bison brand is one I think tastes great and even though it is pricey it is well worth it. http://www.nebraskabison.com/
5) Preacher curls-Still one of the best ways to build your biceps and below is one of my favorite workouts.
* start with the most weight, every time you increase the reps drop the weight by 5-10lbs total
Set1- 6-8 reps
Set2- 6-8 reps
Set3- 8-10 reps
Set 4- 8-10 reps
Set 5- 12 reps
Set 6-12 reps
Set 7-drop set, cut the weight by 10lbs and see how many reps you can get right after finishing set 6
*** Take 1 min of rest between sets
6) Split squats-Great for the legs and easy on the back enough said.
7) Gymnast back routine- if you need a great routine to build your back than check this out. I like to use it as a way to start out my back workouts.
8) Best motivational speech on success! How bad do you want it!
9) PHA for fat loss and body composition-One of the best ways to workout if your goal is dropping body fat!
10-And last would be my girlfriend Ashley! Simply the best