You wake up, still tired despite sleeping longer than you should have so you rush to make it out the door on time grabbing nothing but your cup of coffee. This scenario is what takes place for most people out there. Coffee is not a breakfast item....period! Breakfast is THE most important meal of the day......yes we have all heard this but its true! No matter if your trying to gain muscle or lose weight breakfast is going to play a very important role in your nutrition. You must make eating breakfast part of your daily life.
When you ask most people if they ate breakfast these are the responses
- I don't like breakfast
**SOLUTION-Find something you like that is healthy and start eating it.
- I don't have time
**SOLUTION-You are not making a gourmet buffet here, you can spare 2-5 minutes for breakfast some how.....just make it happen!
- Eating in the morning makes me sick
**SOLUTION-This is most likely because you are used to not eating. Take it slow and gradually introduce eating a solid meal to your body.
- I had a cup of coffee and doughnut
** SOLUTION-Don't eat the doughnut! Coffee I will be ok with...just have it with an actual breakfast item.
All of these are just lame excuses! Eat your breakfast.....make it happen!
So why eat breakfast?
For those who want to lose weight- People think by skipping breakfast they will be saving calories but in fact you will just make those up by snacking and eating later in the day. By eating breakfast you jump start your metabolism early on and you will eat fewer calories throughout the rest of day.
For those looking to gain muscle- Breakfast is the first chance to get some calories and lean protein into your system. Skipping breakfast means losing out on muscle building nutrition.
- Eggs and whole wheat toast
- High fiber cereal- 3 to 5 grams of fiber a serving will be just fine
- Peanut butter on a whole grain English muffin
- Smoothies- use fresh fruit, yogurt, skim milk or juice and your favorite protein supplement
- McDonalds Egg McMuffin with canadian bacon- if you must go this route least you will get protein and solid quality bacon. This is one of McDonalds few menu items I would ever recommend.
Remember- If you are going to eat carbs the morning is ideal because you will start off with energy and you will give yourself the whole day to burn it off.