Monday, August 15, 2011

Lower body mechanics with Mike Kelly




Here is another video from my friend and physical therapist Mike Kelly. This video describes the function and muscular interactions of the lower extremity. The video provides information about the critical importance of hip strength during functional activities. Hip strength provides the lower extremity with the strength and stability for gait, running, squatting and for balance. Hip strength The video demonstrates both non-weight bearing and weight bearing activities for hip strengthening. The weight bearing activities also help increase strength in functional planes.


6 comments:

  1. Love these new video posts! And I just bit the bullet and hired a trainer based upon your advice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the video posts as well since it helps give my readers a visual of what I write about. Glad you got the trainer! Make sure they are:

    1) Certified
    2) Pay attention to you the whole workout
    3) Keep records of your workouts

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks, I really appreciate those suggestions, and I in fact did do that when I grilled him before hiring. I am appalled by how many trainers, even at high-end clubs, will look so disinterested. Really shameful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. FYI, he is ACSM certified. maybe you can do a post explaining the different types of certification. that would be helpful, too. Thanks so much

    ReplyDelete
  6. ACSM is great, I myself have that certification. Usually NASM, NSCA and ACSM are the most highly regarded in the industry. Go Dominate!

    ReplyDelete